7.08.2008

Don't Be So Dramatic

I swear. David Sedaris has changed my life as a reader, as a writer and as a person. In his latest memoir, "When You Are Engulfed in Flames," The last 100 pages or so detail his battle with quitting smoking. A little background if you haven't read anything from him, he is ridiculously intelligent but used to be a mad pothead, alcoholic and now smoker. Not just an occasional one in any are, like full on every day. Smoking was the last thing that he kicked and so far in my reading he has made it more than 4 weeks. Thats an accomplishment.



I started thinking about why I am still smoking. I have no real use for it. I don't enjoy it much. Most of my friends don't smoke and the ones that do I don't see enough to blame them. haha. While reading, Sedaris mentioned a lot of things he does that provoke him to smoke, a lot of which I do. There are those times when you see a dog jump and you're like "That deserves a cigarette" or when you're friend aces a test, welp that means that I deserve a cigarette. It's silly, but every smoker does it. Sedaris also talks about how it was easier to give up alcohol and pot, which didn't surprise me, but his explanation did. He said that it's easier to give up something that prevents you from living a normal life... well smoking does not do that. You don't get hammered or high from cigarettes, so why stop if you can still function all the same?



I really am confused about why I still smoke. My throat hurts about 97% of the year because "the weather conditions change too dramatically." Bullshit. I'm about 20 years and 150,000 more cigarettes from getting cancer in the throat!



So here's my latest attempt to killing the habit, and I did get this from Sedaris' book. I need to go back to the person I was before I started smoking...




EEK! Does anyone even know that person anymore? Well that's what my goal is. I'll updated daily and let you know how I'm doing. Peace bitches.

1 comment:

Janine said...

I was just reading something this weekend from Sedaris. I believe the title was Naked. I laughed. He is a witty author. Good pick. I think you can stop smoking and am willing to help in any way. P.S. I like your blog.