10.06.2010

the demands

It is hard for me to look a certain way, especially when asked to do so. I have my style. It's has always been a plaid shirt and depending on the rage... I could pair it with my high-waisted.. I mean bootcut jeans or my current rage... Levi's skinny straight.

I have been told recently to UP my style a bit.
Uhm. what?
I dont get paid enough and luckily I have learned not to have credit card debt, well anymore of it.

My work would like me to look a certain way, I try. But Goodwill only has a certain amount of designer labels for $2.50.

So her'e my sitchuuuuaation. I told them to pay me more, they said no. I told them to give me a clothing allowance, they said no. I'm looking for ideas of how to make myself EVEN cuter.

I'm really deep, right?

3 comments:

Ashley said...

That's tough. I totally get it. I serve tables and have mountains of student debt. But, for auditions I need to look fresh and current.....always. Appearance is 9/10 of the law, after all. My budget does NOT give much squiggle room for my clothing allowance. However, when I need to refresh my wardrobe I save my pennies to buy the investment pieces.

It's important to invest in key wardrobe elements. Then you can buy cheaper elements to mix in together. Instead of thinking how expensive things are, think of use per wear. The things that are worth the investment: dress shoes, a basic, well fitting coat, and a sensible suit. Things you can skimp on: button down shirts, ties, vests, sweaters, and belts.

Bryan buys his boots on E-Bay, his belts and socks from T.J. Maxx, ties from second hand stores, sweaters from Zara and H&M. He makes most of his own jewelry. His dress shirts are mostly from Good Will, then alters them so that they don't look like the Michelin Man. And, I know you know how to sew-so you can do alterations too.

The great thing about being financially challenged, is that it forces you to be creative. And I know that Matthew Gallagher is up to the challenge. I hope that helps!

Love,

Ash

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt Gallagher said...

I think I am in desperate need of a shopping trip with you! Let's plan our long overdue date for the end of October when everything settles with work and Brittany's wedding... and hopefully you will be available on a Saturday afternoon :)

Thank you for the advice, I am currently looking for some boots and ebay is my first stop!

xoxo